When Should I Replace My Hot Water Heater?

This is the first article in a series of three about hot water heaters and water usage. This one outlines when you should consider replacing your hot water heater. The second will focus on how to determine how much hot water you use and what type and size of hot water heater you need. The last article will highlight the costs and pros and cons of traditional hot water heaters vs. tankless hot water heaters.

When the alarm blasts you awake at 5:30 or 6:00 am and you stumble head first into an icy cold shower, it’s probably time to consider replacing your home’s hot water heater.

Old Rusty Hot Water HeaterAnd when there’s a lake in your basement or garage that is fed by a waterfall from your heater tank, it’s probably time to consider replacing your home’s hot water heater.

But these are not ideal times to address your plumbing needs. So, aside from a full on catastrophe, when should homeowners contemplate replacing and upgrading their hot water system? Here are a few indicators that now might be the time.

Varying Temperatures

Water temperature variance can be an indication of an aging water heater. Is the water not as hot as it used to be? Does the water get hot enough for the dishwasher? If not, check the tank’s thermostat. If a low thermostat temperature is not the culprit, it may be time for a new tank.

Not Enough Hot Stuff

Do you have only enough hot water for one steamy shower, leaving the rest of your family dashing in and out of luke warm or cold water? This is a good sign that it may be time to talk with a professional.

If your water tank has ruptured creating a leak (or a lake), it is definitely time to consider your options. Do-it-yourselfers can attempt to diagnose and repair the leak or you can call a professional. Depending on the age and state-of repair, it may be more cost effective in the long run to replace the entire tank.

Rusty Water

A gush of rust colored water when you open the hot water faucet is a major indicator of an aging hot water heater. Most often, this rusty water is caused by years of sediment that have been deposited in your tank. When you turn on the hot water, the sediment is stirred up and comes out as a rusty, dirty, smelly gush. Draining and flushing sometimes help the situation, but when that doesn’t work, it is time to replace.

Old Age

Unlike fine wines and cheese and women, hot water heaters do not improve with age. Over time, the heaters can corrode, leak, fill with gunk, and just plain break down. Most conventional hot water heaters last between 10 and 15 years. If your’s is older and you are experiencing problems, you should consider finding a replacement.

Don’t forget when replacing a hot water to have the removal and disposal of the old heater and installation of the new one completed by a licensed contractor. Sediment build-up in the old heater can make them very heavy and they’ll either have electric or gas connections that will need to be modified.

Rebates and Tax Incentives

Be sure to check our Southwest Washington Energy Tax Rebates and Incentives and Oregon Energy Tax Rebates and Incentives pages for available rebates and incentives for upgrading to energy efficient water heaters.

Our next article will give you ideas to determine how much water you use and what type or size of water heater you need.

12 Comment(s)

1. You should replace you hot water heater after about 10 years…not all sales reps are honest , they should give you time to think about replacing your tank. I sell them and only advise people to replace the tank if they have not been called by their rental company after the 10 year period. New tanks are more energy efficient and can save you around 10 dollars a month offsetting the cost of the old tank..and most contracts you own your tank after the term. So if you have a new tank less than three years old..keep it. If they try to sell you a new one knowing your is less than 2009..its probably not worth it…

joe heater | Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

2. We’re a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community.
    Your web site offered us with valuable info
    to work on. You’ve done a formidable job and ouur entire
    community will be grateful to you.

http://Www.Amazon.com/gp/richpub/syltguides/fullview/RXSE3WZ3BDRW4 | Oct 31, 2013 | Reply

3. Hi i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anyplace, when i
    read this paragraph i thought i could also make comment due to this sensible
    piece of writing.

رش مبيد بالرياض | Sep 27, 2014 | Reply

4. When I learned that I was in need of a new water heetar, I started searching online. After researching new water heetars, I came across Houston Water Heaters on the web.I filled out the contact section and within a matter of minutes I received a call from the owner, Steve Williams. After speaking with Steve, it was apparent to me that Houston Water Heaters was the type of company that you look for to take care of your needs in a timely manner. I had spoke to Steve on a Sunday night and he wanted to set up the install for the next day.When I was able to get back with Steve to set up the install, he remembered our conversation details. For a company, let alone the owner to remember details specific to one persons needs means a lot in the business industry. I set up the appointment for the install and the installers were very punctual and the work quality was very good. The entire install took approximately an hour and a half. Oh, and the install was in the attic. If you decide to use Houston Water Heaters, you will not be disappointed with any aspect of this company.

Sania | Dec 20, 2015 | Reply

5. That’s an expert answer to an interesting question

auto insurance Santa Fe NM | Mar 9, 2016 | Reply

6. That’s a slick answer to a challenging question

http://allwebsites.pw/patrickswayze.net | Apr 6, 2016 | Reply

7. Snifff…. Pas eu le temps de te souhaiter le meilleur dans cette aventure, ma Cathy, que tu es déjà sur les pistes !!!!Je vous souhaite une très très belle aventure humaine !!! Et aussi la GAGNE !!!!Good luck on the road !!!!!!Pat

http://www.sorethumbsblog.com/ | Apr 28, 2016 | Reply

8. Fantastic new seat covers!I did the same with a 120yrs old dining set I got from my parents, but I used a staple gun to secure the fabric instead of hot glue. (That’s what had been done previously.) My mother tells me that the last time she recovered the chairs, she found 5 layers of fabric

http://www.ionicbathfootdetox.com/ | Apr 28, 2016 | Reply

9. lena comentou em 14 de novembro de 2011 às 10:21. Julia td bem? eu não consigo fazer maquiagem além da minha pálpebra móvel, mesmo quando faço além, da impressão de olho caído, o que posso fazer? comprei um pincel de fazer concavo, mas não tive muito sucesso…me ajude! hehe obrigada

http://www.soulduster.com/ | May 12, 2016 | Reply

10. LuigiL · giovedì, 6 dicembre 2012, 6:53 am1) Credo che Gad attenda la ridiscesa in campo di B. Per vedere rivalutate le sue quotazioni, e relativo stipendio, di giornalista.2) Volevo solo ricordare che PD e PDL, stanno sostenendo questo governo. Con la precisa intenzione di prendere per il c u l o gli elettori nella prossima elezione.

http://www.pbhorrorfest.com/ | Jun 5, 2016 | Reply

11. Cool guide. I just found your website and had to say that I have actually enjoyed reading the blog posts. I have became a subscriber to your RSS feed and I hope you will post again ASAP. I am wondering if I have to sign up to comments feed too. Any useful interactions happening in posts comments?

http://www./ | Jul 10, 2016 | Reply

12. Actually – in the interests of full disclosure – I have 2 brothers who work for a company that provide the fire & security for Broadcasting House, or used to. They did however tell me that Chris Moyles was a nice bloke, when I thought he was a massive twat, which upset me.Anyways, as you were… (again…)

http://www.kreditkartenonline.tech/ | Oct 19, 2016 | Reply

2 Trackback(s)

1. Apr 15, 2010: from What Size Hot Water Heater Do I Need? | Fazzolari Custom Homes & Renovations
  2. Apr 21, 2010: from Review: Tankless or Traditional Hot Water Heaters Pros Cons | Fazzolari Custom Homes & Renovations